Scott Williams is a highly accomplished executive with over 25 years in retail and e-commerce, who joined Batteries Plus as the company’s CEO in January of 2019. During his six-year tenure, his achievements included driving significant results by improving retail operations, revamping marketing, as well as many others.
3 Value Bombs
1) From a leadership point of view, some of the basic things that you read seem so basic that you tend to overlook.
2) The tagline “Power it, Light it, Fix it.” is action-oriented and shows how to drive absolution.
3) Trust in your workforce pays off multiple times over.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Things I’ve Learned On My Journey To CEO of Batteries Plus
[1:17] – Scott shares something that he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- What makes you successful is primarily around leadership, strategy, motivation, and teamwork.
[2:48] – 25 years of experience in retail and e-commerce.
- If we dial back in the late 80’s to early 90’s, they are talking about e-commerce digital strategy.
- We have evolved from very traditional media like TVs and radios, to now streaming.
[4:00] – Wins Scott had during his time as a CEO.
- Reignite growth.
- The speed of change and welcoming folks in the family is the biggest thing. It’s about creating valuation for long-term owners.
[5:01] – Challenges that Scott saw in the business when he took over.
- You need to gain confidence from your franchise owners in new leadership.
- There’s a fair amount of scrutiny and expectation that they absolutely deserve.
- Challenges are consumer electronics that are falling out of the obsolesces curve
[6:41] – Challenges that came out after the pandemic that they dealt with.
- Staffing is a challenge right now specifically in retail.
- Things reported in the media around the supply chain are very real.
- They have a supply chain that sources both domestically and internationally. It runs warehouses and distributions to all franchise owners.
[8:51] – Definition of branding and his vision for BatteriesPlus’ brand.
- That tagline was an inspiration of how they wanted to execute on the brand promise.
- The tagline “Power it, Light it, Fix it.” is action-oriented and shows how to drive absolution.
[11:27] – A timeout to thank our sponsors!
- HubSpot: A platform that’s easy for your entire team to use! Learn how HubSpot can make it easier for your business to grow better at Hubspot.com!
[13:49] – Developments and partnerships with BatteriesPlus, and what the process looks like.
- They needed to prove that they are the best in class for franchise owners. They’ve introduced new programs like inventory planning as a service.
- A new business intelligence tool called the Looker will give franchise owners rankings by category and by storage, and allow them to focus their time with customers.
[16:53] – Tips and advice for other CEOs.
- Trust in your workforce pays off multiple times over.
- Put faith and trust in your leadership team and your overall employee base.
- As a CEO, continue to find places where you garner energy and motivation.
[19:54] – Scott’s key take away and call to action.
- From a leadership point of view, some of the basic things that you read seem so basic that you tend to overlook.
- Build a world-class team, put the right people in the right place, drive a strategy, allow everyone to know how to win together, and share the fruits of success.
- BatteriesPlus Franchise – Join Our Leading Batteries, Cell Phone Repair, and Lighting Franchise.
[21:22] – Thank you to our Sponsors!